Coco Kai, Beef Burger - 8.5/10

Stacked up high and full of flavour.
Squashes down nicely.

Marinated 180g beef pattie, 2 slices of cheese, bacon, slaw, homemade sauces, with the topping of caramelised onion (comes with seasoned fries) - 15

Coco Kai is a small, unassuming cafe in the Hutt, run by two cool dudes.

And they cook one mean burger. I would go so far as to say its the best in the Hutt Valley. So if I were you I would get there and give their burger a go.

It's all about the flavour?  Coco Kai gets this bang on baby. A slaw dressing with a bit of bite from green apple. V. crisp bacon. Melting cheese, mayo and home sauce (not sure what it is - a sweet ketchup I think). The combination of flavours is what makes this burger special in my book.

I don't recall ever eating the salad.

I have been several times and each time I have had a different view on the pattie. Based on my latest visit, I think they are getting very close to nailing the pattie. If I did have to critique, then this is where I think they need to focus their effort to take this burger next level.

The bun is brioche and nicely toasted. It is a bit small and crumbly so struggles a bit to contain the fillings, which are piled high. With the amount of sauce, and the coleslaw, a fair bit of the burgerends up on your plate.


Here is one I had last year.  They got the cheese just right.
Check out the bacon!!
The place itself is small and unassuming and in an out-of-the-way place in the Hutt (opposite Burger King).

But Don and Joe are not.

These two are super friendly and committed. They put in a heap of effort to keep this place going (I think they recently celebrated two years) and give us in the Hutt a choice for a great burger (I have yet to try their other menu items but Sophie loves their ribs). Initially Coco Kai were trying to be everything to everyone and had a large, eclectic menu. But, through trial and error and listening to their customers, they are slowly getting things right - tweaking the menu and recipes to suit their market.

I think they should assume the title of Burger Kings and let the burger mobs know what they are missing!!

A solid 8.5/10 from me.


Comments

Popular Posts